Monday 5 December 2016

Inktober 2016 Round-up of my Drawings

This year I decided to join in with Inktober for the first time - Inktober is a drawing challenge started by Jake Parker to make one ink drawing a day for the whole month of October. (You can find out more about Inktober and see Jake's fantastic artwork on his website).
I wanted to join in with the challenge to practise my own ink drawing and to have some fun drawing different subjects. It was also great to see what other people were drawing each day.  I started the challenge with good intentions to draw every day, however, I did fall behind and ended up continuing the challenge into November. I have been posting pictures of my drawings onto my facebook and instagram pages but thought it would also be good to share a round-up of them all here...


Inktober 2016 drawing challenge. My sketchbook pages - days 1 to 9 by Hazel Fisher Creations(Days 1 - 9)


At the same time as drawing for Inktober I was also working on other projects, so I found it difficult to keep up with the daily drawings. I still think that I got a lot out of the challenge though. I loved drawing some different subjects, like people and buildings which I used to draw more often but haven't drawn so much recently.  The project has inspired me to want to draw more of these.  I've also been thinking about the way I use ink differently and having a bit more variety in the thickness of my lines.

For most of my drawings I used black Faber-Castell PITT Artist Pens (Super Fine and Extra Super Fine). I've been using these pens for years.  I like the drawing tips - especially for drawing small details.  The ink is water proof too, so can be used with watercolours.  I also like that they're not too expensive!

On day 8 I used some black Quink ink. I used to draw with this a lot, but haven't for ages, so it was fun to play with it again. The Quink is really nice diluted with water because it separates into different colours, which adds a bit more interest to the image.  (It reminds me of chromatography experiments in chemistry lessons - did you do that? - where you see what colours things like felt tip pen ink, or Smarties sweets, separates into?)
I also reversed the way I would normally work for this sketch - starting with washes then adding in details with the PITT Artist pens afterwards instead of starting with the line work.

Inktober 2016 drawing challenge. My sketchbook pages - days 10 to 18 by Hazel Fisher Creations
(Days 10 - 18)

I would definitely like to take part in the Inktober challenge again next year - maybe I should mix in some more quick 5 minute drawings with the more time consuming ones so I can keep up with 1 a day! In the mean time, I plan to keep up with doing more drawing just for fun, and seeing what happens in my sketchbook.  I've found a drawing challenge on Instagram #IFDrawAWeek, which has a different theme each week - one drawing a week sounds like it could be more manageable!

Have you taken part in any drawing challenges? What have your experiences of them been like?

No comments:

Post a Comment