Thursday 13 July 2017

More Circus Designs for Spoonflower

Continuing with the Circus theme, here is my entry to this week's Spoonflower design challenge; Circus Performers.  My design features girls (inspired by 1920s fashion) performing acrobatics,  gynastics (rhythmic ribbons!) and on the flying trapeze!  This week's theme was the one I was most looking forward to designing for and I enjoyed drawing the girls - first in pencil then pen line drawing, which I scanned then coloured digitally.  I added the stars, swirls and dots to give a sense of movement to the design.  As with all of this month's circus challenges, there was a limited colour palette to use.  The colours are probably not ones I would have chosen myself (yellow isn't a colour I usually use a lot of) but I actually like the yellow as a background for this and how the other colours work with it.

Circus Performers 1920s Acrobatic Girls fabric design by Hazel Fisher Creations, Spoonflower weekly design challenge entry, surface pattern design

* UPDATE*
Thank you if you voted for my Circus Performers design - it came 32nd (with 86 votes) out of 135 entries!
You can see all the winners on Spoonflower here.

This design is now available to buy from Spoonflower - you can find it in my shop here.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Below is my entry to last week's challenge; Animal Alphabet Limited Colour Palette.  It features some of the animals I used in my first circus design, plus some new ones; a zebra, giraffe and bear on a unicycle!!  The colour palette for this one was probably the most challenging for me - most of the animals were fine but I struggled to like any of the colours for the elephant.  I'm looking forward to playing around with these a bit more after the challenges with some different colour combinations.

Circus, Animal Alphabet fabric design by Hazel Fisher Creations, Spoonflower weekly design challenge entry, surface pattern design
Thank you if you voted for my design in the contest! The results are now in and my Animal Alphabet design came 65th out of 146 entries.  I definitely recommend you visit Spoonflower's blog to see the other entries, there were lots of great designs and Elena Naylor's winning Cat Circus Alphabet is a particularly fun and creative design! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment